The Interledger Community 🌱

Discussion on: Rafiki: What is it?

Collapse

radhyr profile image
Radhy • Edited

Thanks for creating this post Uchi.

I'd like to ask question about interoperability of Rafiki payments with existing blockchain features such as smart contract and such. Or like the possibility if we want to mint NFT on blockchain through dapps UI but receive payments with formal currencies through Interledger (can this even work?). Do we have to rely only Codius for that or can we use blockchain ledger (like XRPL) to channel payments directly to Rafiki wallets?

Collapse

laka profile image
Alex Lakatos

Interledger is a clearing network, not a settlement network. It moves value from point A to point B, not the actual thing. The Interledger network moves the value of XRP on it right now, but no the "phisical" XRP. Smart contracts and NFTs live on the "phisical" XRP, so that won't move on Interledger.

You can use the Interledger network to receive fiat currencies on it (and crypto for that matter), and then settle with the peering node on the XRPL.

Collapse

radhyr profile image
Radhy

Thanks for the response Alex. Your reply is pretty helpful. I wonder though if Interledger could connect with blockchain such just as the payment channel when smart contract or NFT do have transactions, but not necessarily host or move ownership of them to the Interledger network. I'm guessing since if I'm remembering right previously we can send XRP payments to Interledger with XRP libraries back from xpring.io/ripplex.io still active. Hoping Rafiki does bring a workaround for this kind of interoperability in a kinda more "native" way.

Thread Thread

laka profile image
Alex Lakatos

You'd have to call a Rafiki API from the smart contract, and settle with your wallet provider. It could be done, but the problem here is not a tech problem, but finding a wallet provider that would allow you to do that.

Thread Thread

radhyr profile image
Radhy

Thanks for the reply again Alex! So it seems my worry is too soon. I gotta check again once XRPL smart contract/NFT and Rafiki has been implemented in public.