The Interledger Community 🌱

Cover image for W3C Games CG April 2021: Unity and WebCodecs
Andrzej Mazur
Andrzej Mazur

Posted on • Originally published at end3r.com on

W3C Games CG April 2021: Unity and WebCodecs

Another bi-monthly online meetup of the W3C Games Community Group happened a few days ago, on April 15th, and this time two main presentation topics revolved around Unity and WebCodecs.

Anthony Bowker from Unity was talking about their efforts towards HTML5 export, and Unity Tiny.

End3r's Corner - W3C Games CG April 2021: Unity Tiny

That is some important work, since Unity have a huge user base, which can create top quality content for the Web - it have to work smooth, including mobile devices.

End3r's Corner - W3C Games CG April 2021: WebCodecs

The second talk was about WebCodecs , and had three speakers: Bernard Aboba from Microsoft , Chris Cunningham from Google , and Paul Adenot from Mozilla. Chris was leading most of the talk, discussing the technical aspects of WebCodecs , which can greatly increase the performance of audio decoding in Web game engines and games themselves.

End3r's Corner - W3C Games CG April 2021: Gamedev.js Survey 2021

After the talks there was time for open discussion, where I quickly presented the Gamedev.js Survey 2021 results, and talked about the Gamedev.js Jam 2021 that is currently happening. I raised the decentralization and games topic at the end of my talk, and we might actually have some presentations related to that at the next meetup already.

Tom Greenaway also proposed to have a second bi-monthly gathering where we could have hands-on workshops on attempting to solve specific high-level issues, like lack of virality in Web games, their monetization, copyright issues, etc. There was a positive response to this idea, so we might have the first one next month already.

Top comments (0)