The Interledger Community 🌱

Oliver Sauter
Oliver Sauter

Posted on

Slow Payment Process with Coil. UX Improvement possible?

When using the coil extension to pay for pages I am on, it takes a minute or 2 for the dialogue to confirm successful payment.

Of course its a no-brainer that this is not an ideal UX and will be annoying to many users.
Admittedly after already the 2nd payment I made my desire to pay for pages dropped rapidly, in the prospect that I have to wait so long on each page.

I wonder how much of this process can be done in the background, while the user already gets a confirmation of his request being processed?

The ideal experience would be for me: I click and get instant confirmation. Even if the actual payment process takes a bit more time, it should just happen in the background.

If there are any errors, I may wanna get an email, or a monthly summary with all my payments, including the failed ones so i can potentially retry.

Latest comments (7)

Collapse

denisakera profile image
Denisa Reshef Kera

Few times I actually lost patience waiting for the confirmation & simply left the page but it actually did work out with some delay... I use PayTrackr v0.2.4 to follow the payments so I was actually surprised to pages paid that the Coil extension dialogue didn't indicate... not certain what this Coil extension dialogue does on the background, waits for monetizationprogress? or monetizationstart? I agree that feedback for the visitor needs to improve. I'm also still confused about the small counter when it shows what I pay x what is paid on the page, and I'm still trying to understand the continuous x unlocking type or payments....

Collapse

blackforestboi profile image
Oliver Sauter

Yeah it just won't go away until a very long time after. last time it was 4.5 minutes(!) on a page here in the forum.

And yes, in the background it apparently always works, as I get the confirmation that it worked via email.

Collapse

adrianhopebailie profile image
Adrian Hope-Bailie

it takes a minute or 2 for the dialogue to confirm successful payment.

Which dialogue are you referring to? Payments are real time, that's the whole point so if there is a delay in the UX then we need to fix that.

Collapse

Oliver Sauter

this one: community.interledger.org/remoteim...

It stays in this screen practically forever. If it happens in real time in the background I expect as a user to immediately get the confirmation that the payment happened.

Collapse

Oliver Sauter
Collapse

cyberdees profile image
Desigan CHINNIAH

Please raise this as an issue within Github. And do tag sublimator.

Collapse

niq profile image
Nicholas Shay Dudfield

Oliver,

Thanks for the feedback. This is @sublimator from GH

I opened an issue concerning this:
github.com/coilhq/web-monetization...

I'm a little puzzled why you were waiting 1 minute for any indication of payment.
It's not something that I've seen myself.