The Interledger Community 🌱

Cover image for Ask your questions about the CFP here!

Ask your questions about the CFP here!

Erika on July 26, 2021

Grant for the Web's latest call for proposals is live! We know you you'll have lots of questions, so here are some resources to help you out: FAQ...
Collapse

gfam profile image
gFam

It is absolutely great to have a specific place to ask questions... thanks for this Erika!

I did the eligibility quiz because I was curious if previous grantees were eligible and it didn't say no, but it did say that details would need to be provided... so my question is, are expansions/extensions on previous grantee projects eligible (providing they meet all the other criteria)?

Thanks!

Collapse

erikad profile image
Erika • Edited

Great question!

Previous grantees, whose projects are complete and who have received an offboarding email from Ayesha, are eligible to apply for this CFP.

Current grantees may be eligible to apply for an expansion of their previously-funded work, or for a new idea, if they have completed their final reporting and had it accepted by the Program Team by August 31, 2021. Please note that the Program Team often has feedback on final reports: submitting your report is not the same as having it approved.

For current grantees that won't be ready by this deadline, don't worry - there will more more open CFPs to come. We intend to release these opportunities on a regular basis.

Collapse

gfam profile image
gFam

Thanks Erika, that explains this scenario perfectly! Thank you so much!

Collapse

radhyr profile image
Radhy

What is grant committee stance on having active grantees to join a new team for this call for proposal?

I have friends back from college back when I was still a film student, and apparently they still get in touch with film industry in my country. Some of them work in national TV broadcast, but there are few of them move between projects to projects as freelance film crews who readily available and I think their expertise might be useful to create projects or resources for Web Monetization community. I've talked to one of them and suggest he should apply for this year CFP, but since none of them have been exposed to Web Monetization previously, I planned to join the team to support as a tech person and help them with their proposal.

Thanks before!

Collapse

chrislarry profile image
Chris Lawrence

You can help them for sure and can be named as an expert on the project, but as a current grantee you can't be the lead. We would suggest more of an informal advisor roll at this time.

Here is the policy regarding this:

Previous grantees, whose projects are complete and who have received an offboarding email from Ayesha, are eligible to apply for this CFP.

Current grantees may be eligible to apply for an expansion of their previously-funded work, or for a new idea, if they have completed their final reporting and had it accepted by the Program Team by August 31, 2021. Please note that the Program Team often has feedback on final reports: submitting your report is not the same as having it approved.

For current grantees that won't be ready by this deadline, don't worry - there will more more open CFPs to come. We intend to release these opportunities on a regular basis.

Collapse

radhyr profile image
Radhy

Thanks for the reply Chris!

Collapse

burxy profile image
Chibuike Emmanuel

Hi Erica

Glad to join the community !

Please I and my team are racing to turn in our idea before the deadline. So I have a few questions .

The first is can a project be still eligible if creatives can get tips via the monetization Api and Interledger as well as another payment method that is already known within the locale? This is because of late there has been a crackdown on crypto transactions in Nigeria and may affect donors being willing to be onboarded at the first instance. But if they can interact with the platform via a medium that they are already conversant with ,it becomes easier to sell them on the web monetization idea and onboard them, after a while. All the while all the creatives will have the web monetized wallets set up from inception of them getting onboarded.

Secondly can the grant be used to pay for social media ads in advertising a competition linked to the implementation of the project ?Then what about social media influencers? Are other traditional advertising means also permitted?

Thank you.

Collapse

erikad profile image
Erika

Hi Chibuike. Yes you are still eligible - Interledger doesn't have to be the only network used. And yes, you may include both social media and traditional advertising in your budget.

Collapse

burxy profile image
Chibuike Emmanuel

Hi Erica

Thanks .

I couldn't get to submit my work even though I finished just before the 7pm UTC Time as stipulated. I was told the opportunity was no longer available .

Thread Thread

chrislarry profile image
Chris Lawrence

Sorry you were not able to submit by the deadline. The CFP was open for 9 weeks, and we extended it a week, so we do feel it was open for an appropriate amount of time. There is always a danger of waiting until the last second. We advise all potential applicant to apply a few hours before deadline to deal with any tech issues that may arise. We will have more opportunities in the coming year.

Collapse

burxy profile image
Chibuike Emmanuel

Thanks for the prompt response Erika !

Please one final inquiry .

Should all the details produced from the grant be open source ? Is being open source more favorable?

Thanks a bunch!

Thread Thread

erikad profile image
Erika

Chibuike, our charter declares that at least 50% of the projects we fund must be open source, and we are certainly proponents of open technology. That being said, we recognize that applicants may have valid reasons to have a proprietary license for some or all of their work. The key in your application is to articulate your rationale, and help judges understand your licensing decisions.

Collapse

abhinavchawla13 profile image
Abhinav Chawla

Hey everyone, while working over my previous project, I had an idea to build a tool to extend the reach of the technology to more hands with a eventually multiple use cases, but I wasn't sure if it fit the second category for the new CFP, so thought I'll ask it here (thanks for setting up this post!)

I was wondering to build to an API/integration where people visiting a particular location (historical site, sporting arena, conferences, etc) can simply scan a QR code, connect their Coil accounts quickly, and while they enjoy the services within the location, they automatically donate for it in the background without specifically being lured into donating a specific amount before you leave. For example, if I'm going to a car show, and the car show is raising money for some charity, while I'm at the show looking at cars, I'm also easily donating without being pressurized by someone (or my own guilt).

That's basically how the idea came, so was thinking to build a generic location-based-BTP token generator and simple dashboard for an organization to create an event to share. Probably, also a sample PWA/mobile application which could be connecting the both and used by organizations to customize and deploy if they want to move away from a default version - again lots to think there.

I just wanted to get a feedback if this would fit the scope of any of the categories? If not, I had a couple other ideas as well that I could explore deeper.

Collapse

laka profile image
Alex Lakatos

From a technology point of view though, I don't think this is feasible. Coil needs the extension or Puma to be active on a page with a payment pointer, so while you walk around a venue, you'd have to constantly have your phone open and active on a payment pointered web page (which I don't think is realistic from a UX perspective).

The other option would be extremely complicated and resouce intensive: you'd need to become a Web Monetization provider yourself (like Coil), which involves some non-technical hurdles that need to be overcome, mainly getting a corporate relation with one of the wallet providers in the network.

Collapse

abhinavchawla13 profile image
Abhinav Chawla

Hey @laka , thanks for the response. That sounds fair enough. I had the same issue and that's why was thinking to specifically try to solve it one way or another, but wasn't sure if it would be possible overall. I was thinking to have a PWA run in the background actively (again not sure if it's possible) or use the BTP token and somehow emulate the webpage through a backend service using the Coil script - and the timing is dicatated by user's location from the phone. In either case, some backend process would be needed to be running on the phone to have a good UX.

Thread Thread

laka profile image
Alex Lakatos

I don't think PWAs would work, even with using something like periodicSync. The background processes aren't as active as advertised, you'd be streaming at a much lower rate than the current rate of 36 cents/hour.

The Coil extension is open-source, you could reverse-engineer the tokenization they do to the payment pointer, and make HTTP requests to the Coil BTP endpoint form a server, that should work. It would still be a significant engineering effort, but I think shorter than the alternative.

Collapse

victoriac profile image
Victoria Coker

Hi again, Is the community of creators very accessible to collaborate -- my proposal is really focused on collaborating with the current creative platforms built in the space. If so any suggestions on how to do outreach? Thanks

Collapse

chrislarry profile image
Chris Lawrence

Hi @victoriac While this is still a young community we have found it to be creative, social and collaborative. A good place to get a sense of that is on these hashtags within the space #grantreports #roudups and #discuss If you want to get me your project/collaboration ask and/or open ended question about collaboration, I'd be happy to feature as our next weekly discussion topic.

Collapse

lak profile image
Lindsay

Quick question: I know that you aren't funding travel this time around, but can we include travel in the budget if it is funded by another source? Or, should travel be left out of the projects all together? Thank you!

Collapse

erikad profile image
Erika

Hi Lindsay - yes, you can include travel funded by another source.

Collapse

jlongshak profile image
Joseph Longshak

Good afternoon,

I want to understand: ''current technology?" and "technical dependencies"

Under: Is your project feasible with the current technology? What technical dependencies are there?

Collapse

laka profile image
Alex Lakatos

Current technology refers to the available Interledger implementations and resources - the JavaScript, Java & Rust connectors, Rafiki and the Web Monetization API are a few of the examples.

Technical dependencies refers to the things you think you'll need in order to make your project work. They're not exactly limited to the above, so feel free to think about anything you think you'll need from a tech point of view.

Collapse

jlongshak profile image
Joseph Longshak

Thank you very much Alex.

Collapse

victoriac profile image
Victoria Coker • Edited

Is there any deadline for when a project must be completed if applying for this round of call for proposals?

Collapse

erikad profile image
Erika

Hi Victoria. Projects should be scoped for 6-months and should aim to be completed mid-2022. We anticipate work starting in December or January. There is a fairly simply process for extension requests, if required.

Collapse

victoriac profile image
Victoria Coker

Thanks Erika for clearing that up.

Collapse

danilomgusicuma profile image
Danilo Miranda Gusicuma

Hi everyone!

I have a question about the eligibility because I worked on a granted project as contractor and now I have an unrelated ideia of project.

Thanks!

Collapse

erikad profile image
Erika

You should still be eligible to apply, Danilo. Contractors on previously-funded projects are ok.

Collapse

danilomgusicuma profile image
Danilo Miranda Gusicuma

Thank you very much, Erika!