10 months ago, we learned about Web Monetization. A few keywords stood out to us: open, fair and inclusive. These words weren’t something we were used to seeing amongst monetization on the web, which generally involves targeted ads, paywalls and other unfortunate things.
But we found ourselves struggling to understand and find resources to learn about Web Monetization. To tackle this problem, we began the Akita project. We created resources which introduce Web Monetization through easy-to-use tools, storytelling and community outreach. Scroll down to see what we've made!
Hi there! We’re @elliot and @sharon, the co-creators of the Akita project. We’re both software developers, but also find ourselves designing, speaking, writing and illustrating. Here’s our socials if you’d like to reach out!
Whether or not you’re using a Web Monetization Provider such as Coil, you can get started with Akita to find out how you engage with Web Monetization on the internet.
- GitHub — Our open-source code repository for the extension.
- Install on Chrome
- Install on Edge
- YouTube Demo Video
- Request for Feedback — Please let us know what you think of the extension!
Check out our interactive Web Monetization tutorial for online creators. We give you the basics of how to add Web Monetization to a site through the story of Auden and Chicken.
- Website — Try out the interactive tutorial!
- Demo Video
- GitHub — Our open-source code repository for the website.
- Process — How we built the website.
Over the past six months, we've spoken at two conferences, posted two articles and engaged with the community on a bunch of platforms. We hope to see you around the community!
- “Doing My Bit To Help Build the Web Monetization Community” — Blog post on Sharon’s Web Monetization journey.
- "Cultivating awareness and understanding around Web Monetization" — Elliot’s talk on our efforts in the micropayments space.
- Twitter — We post updates here!
- DEV Community — We blogged about our early stage Web Monetization efforts here.
Being a part of Web Monetization is awesome for a lot of reasons, but the supportive and open people is a big reason we love it. Check out @thomasbnt's list of Web Monetization resources if you're interested in what the community is getting up to!