The Interledger Community 🌱

Cover image for Revenue Sharing on Rafiki Mega Thread
Radhy
Radhy

Posted on • Updated on

Revenue Sharing on Rafiki Mega Thread

As you probably have known from this announcement, Rafiki gets some ❤️ and soon we'll be having digital wallet providers with upgraded Interledger capabilities!

Finally a proper way for us developers playing with the all powerful Interledger payments. We're going to see use cases for Interledger as common as Web Monetization once ILP-enabled digital wallets implement Rafiki on their system. Awesome tipping and subscription coming soon!

--but wait!

how do I split revenue on tipping on subscription like I do on Web Monetization...?

This is a mega thread about doing some revshare on Rafiki-based payment implementation, including: Interledger payments and tipping, mandate/subscription, etc.

🔗 Related links

Rafiki official github repo
Rafiki wallet demo (probably outdated)
Rafiki payments demo (including payments and subscription!) (probably outdated)

🔬 Experiments on Rafiki-based revshare payments

This section will be a list of projects that experimenting on revshare on Rafiki based payments! Could be GftW grantees' projects or some casual implementation--let me know if you happen to know one so that I can make a list for it!

💬 Ongoing discussions

This section is going to be a list on public threads about discussions for doing revenue sharing on Rafiki/Interledger payments that's not Web Monetization. If you happen to know discussions about this on public forums or github issues, please let me know--I'll make a list so that people can easily lurk and follow on them.

📋 Proposed solutions

Have any ideas on how to manage revenue share in the all new and shiny Rafiki-based Interledger payments? Or do you plan to have an experiment on it? Let me know your thoughts in the comment, and I'll put yours in the list! Or create a new post if you think your idea is long or complex enough that it deserved its own post! (and then comment the link here so that I'll put it on the list)

Top comments (8)

Collapse

yawnxyz profile image
Jan Zheng

I think a Rafiki-based Ko-fi (ko-fi.com/) implementation would be super cool as an example!

Basically, have a button anyone can drop into a site, with a Coil-like payment pointer or wallet hooked up (not sure how Rafiki handles that), and clicking that "Buy me a coffee" button will send $1 worth of coins.

As I wrote that, I realize I have zero idea of how Rafiki works... is it like a wallet where you specify a wallet address and a currency and amount? Does it only use XRP? Can you build in a wallet address into the "Coffee" button?

I understand that Rafiki is still being designed and developed, but I'd love to get a peek into what the payment flows to look like so we can design accordingly :)

Collapse

radhyr profile image
Radhy

I think a Rafiki-based Ko-fi (ko-fi.com/) implementation would be super cool as an example!

Basically, have a button anyone can drop into a site, with a Coil-like payment pointer or wallet hooked up (not sure how Rafiki handles that), and clicking that "Buy me a coffee" button will send $1 worth of coins.

They already have demo on payment using wallet that uses Interledger payment pointer as an example (both one-time tipping/payment and subscription like Ko-fi). The demo site is rafiki.shop, though it seems they don't regularly maintained it and sometimes the website simply not being able to load at all. If you can load it you can test the payment by using testnet wallet in rafiki.money.

In my opinion, the payment flow is already quite seamless especially since they also have integrated browsers' native payment dialog to their flow--aside, of course, the demo site being slow to load from having an unmaintained state.

I'm pretty sure Interledger payment solutions later will be more superior in term of simplicity and UX compared to existing tipping payments like Ko-fi. Not only the payment feels native from the get go, apparently we will be able to customize the subscription not only how much we get paid, but also how often the subscription interval will be (for example, you can offer subscription plans both per monthly or weekly basis at the same time--or maybe every a few days or even hours!).

As I wrote that, I realize I have zero idea of how Rafiki works... is it like a wallet where you specify a wallet address and a currency and amount? Does it only use XRP? Can you build in a wallet address into the "Coffee" button?

I think it wouldn't be much different from how they explain it on Interledger official site. Apparently the money (regardless whether it's crypto or fiat currency) will be converted automatically when the packet hopping through routers. Most likely users can set what currency they want to receive through their wallet providers.
Interledger converting currency

It will be much clearer if you try to send an Interledger payment yourself if you haven't already. You can try sending XRP from ripplex.io to a wallet on rafiki.money and see how the wallet will show how much the XRP converted to USD before you click the send button.

Collapse

yawnxyz profile image
Jan Zheng

Thanks for your lengthy response! I didn't know about any of these resources at all. Too bad that the demo site isn't being maintained (it doesn't load at all for me). I hope they improve the designer/developer experience soon!

I'll check out the other resources though! Thanks so much!

Thread Thread

radhyr profile image
Radhy

You're welcome!

Hopefully they'll do something about the demo once the new testnet instance is up 👍

Collapse

radhyr profile image
Radhy • Edited

I'll try to gather my thoughts and propose my own simple concept as a solution in the coming days... (just so that there's something to start)

Also, I haven't managed to get a good cover image for this post. Someone please recommend me a good one!

Collapse

yawnxyz profile image
Jan Zheng

All ideas I have revolve around violating Disney copyrights...

Collapse

radhyr profile image
Radhy

I forgot this post didn't have cover image until your comment showed up in my notification. I did a quick search on Google and settled on a CC licensed image now.

Collapse

radhyr profile image
Radhy • Edited

If Github is place where you prefer to hang out, please visit Rafiki revshare discussion post at:
github.com/coilhq/rafiki/discussio...

🙏🙏🙏